Thursday, January 15, 2009

I can see the end..

The first week of classes is drawing to a close, and not a minute too soon. Not that I don't like my classes or professors, it's just a lot to take in in one week, and I am already ready for a break.

So, I got the whole Latin American Literature class fiasco dealt with, and I went to the class today. It is another class with all Mexicans, except little me in the middle. It is going to be a lot of work, but those are probably the classes that are going to improve my Spanish the most. I think it will be ok. The professor was really nice about my not being at the first class.

What else has happened since I last posted...last night we went to a movie with a friend of my room mate's who is from Mexico. One day when she was trying to get a taxi home, this guy and his friend offered her a ride home, and we went to the movie with him. It was a Mexican movie, so all in Spanish, lots of slang that I didn't know, so it was 2 hours of a lot of confusion, and glancing back and forth at my room mate, seeing if she felt the same as I did. I got the general concept of the movie, but there was a lot that I didn't understand. For example, there were at least a few times when everyone in the theatre was laughing, and my room mate and I just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders. We want to go see the same movie in 2 months and see if we understand a lot more. Hopefully, yes!

What else is going on....I am just feeling really mentally exhausted after this week. I just want to sleep. I feel like I am acting differently here...not really myself, but with some people I still am. I think I just get really intimidated in this different environment. At the same time, I really love it here. There is nothing in my head that is telling me I want to go home. I really just think it is going to take a lot to get used to. Once I am more comfortable speaking Spanish in my classes, I can open up and make more friends. Right now I just need to adjust to my new surroundings. And that's ok with me. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment